Wednesday 7 June 2017

Gum graft diary: Day 2 - first day after surgery & post-op instructions

Good morning - first day after AlloDerm gum graft on all teeth

I woke up without much pain today, after having all of my teeth grafted (more on the surgery itself here).  No one is more surprised than me. 

It is definitely best to take the day after surgery off work - in fact, I have the rest of the week off.  I noticed that swelling increased throughout the day and I was quite puffy in the evening.  I am trying not to speak or move my mouth too much - when I do, it feels like it contributes to the swelling.

I have not tried to look at the graft, but since it has been done right at the front I can see parts of it anyway - it is quite red but held in place with the stitches.  Today.  I know from experience (the last bout of grafts in 2012...), that it will probably look horrendous if I have a closer peek.  

Today's theme: Post-op instructions

Let me read out my post op instructions for you below.  I'm the kind of person that needs to be told why I should follow them, otherwise I may just forget to comply:

  • Plenty of rest - seems obvious. Try to sleep with extra pillows to keep your head elevated and reduce swelling.
  • Do not bush or rinse on the day of the surgery. After the first day you can very gently rinse by tilting your head to let the mouthwash move around your mouth (no swishing!).  Not brushing for so long feels kind of icky, but my surgeon will give my teeth a good clean and polish when I come in for review appointments to make this part easier and more socially acceptable. 
  • Avoid lifting the lip with your fingers to look at the area.  As I note here, it's best not to look. You can accidentally tear the sutures, and because the tissue is so delicate, they might not be able to replace them. You may think you are being gentle, but your gums may disagree.
  • Apply ice, 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off.  There is some debate over this one, but as I understand it the ice helps to bring down swelling.  A little bit of swelling is good as it brings nutrients to the area; a lot is bad since it can break the stitches.
  • Start taking painkillers before you feel the anaesthetic wear off. It is much easier to prevent the pain than it is to make it go away once you start feeling it.
  • Take the medication with food and drink. This reduces stomach upsets.
  • Eat a soft diet. More on this in Day 4.  The first 24-48 hours are the most critical for your graft, so be extra careful for the first few days. 
  • Avoid exercise for 7 days. This keeps blood pressure low, reduces bleeding and aids healing. As an avid gym bunny, this one is extremely difficult for me. More on this in Day 7.
Too much swelling is a bad thing and can lead to graft failure.  Icing in the early stages can help - once the swelling sets in you just have to let it take its course, so the key is in prevention. 

I use Theraflex gel packs, which have lasted me for years and years.  Wrap these in a tea towel before pressing against your face to prevent freezer burn!  They remain soft and flexible so they can fit nicely against your cheek. 


Have you had gum grafts - were your post-op instructions different ?  Leave your comments and tips below, let's all help each other! 



2 comments:

  1. My swelling is very bad , it’s only one day adtwr and I’ve been icing , what else can I do ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting information about your gum graft experience for others to see. I read it before my surgery and I’m so grateful to have had a heads up. I’m on day 4 post- gum graft.
    I was so worried about the procedure that I took the oral sedation & I’m glad I did. I was so sleepy, and I did experience the weird amnesia described on the pharmacy info sheet. I spent day 1 sleeping & icing , day 2 & 3 resting & icing.
    I’d have to say day 3 had the most swelling so far. I have 2 donor sites on the roof of my palate, and one graft site on my 4 lower front teeth. The periodontist applied putty to my 3 wounds - 2 on the roof of my mouth and one to cover the graft. The taste is rather chemical, but I haven’t felt the pizza burn pain described elsewhere.
    I have been taking 1 Advil every 4hours (8am, noon, 4pm, 8pm) & 2 at midnight so I can sleep until 8am. I take 1 regular strength Tylenol in between as needed.
    The only thing I’ve been “eating” is meal replacement drinks (Ensure/Boost) and so far so good. I’m not keen on getting anything stuck under the putty. I’m told it will come off after a week at a followup appointment.
    I rinse with warm water & then a mild salt rinse after eating & the periodontist provided mouthwash for morning & night.
    I’m looking forward to getting back to eating food and playing saxophone - at this moment I have zero interest, but I’m told by the periodontist that day 10 I’ll start to feel better.
    As for activity, I took the week off and have been very lazy - any activity/talking makes the stitches start to sting. Looking forward to the swelling going down and feeling more like my active self.
    Wishing everyone going through this process a smooth and speedy recovery. Getting to the appointment is half the battle, the rest is for just that - take it easy and take good care of yourself!
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your experience and help others