Tuesday 13 June 2017

Gum graft diary: Day 8 & review appointment

Time for a check-up

I went back to the surgery today for a checkup and was told that everything looks like it is healing nicely. 

The surgeon tightened up all of the loose stitches for me. Not sure exactly what she did, but it seemed to be a case of adding more of the composite that is gluing my teeth together underneath the stitch so that it holds tight.  

My next appointment is in 2 weeks time.  The normal protocol is for stitches to be left in for 4 weeks after AlloDerm, which is longer than for a gum graft with your own tissue.  However, the periodontist said that the stitches are not really active after 3 weeks, it is mainly a precaution. 


2 comments:

  1. Hello. I am a very thin biotype and have had connective tissue grafts in the past on single teeth, but my recession has become very bad in recent years. I wondered, given you mentioned you were a thin biotype, how has the alloderm held up since your 2017 full mouth surgery? Do you have photos of before and after?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still holding up well today, about 2 years later. Looks pretty much the same as after the surgery once the swelling had settled down, and my recession is stable (still there unfortunately, but not getting worse).

      Delete

Please share your experience and help others