Thursday 8 June 2017

Gum graft diary: Day 3 & medication

How's the pain?

My face is more puffy and painful than yesterday - a bit of a hamster face look today.  I have to be careful not to accidentally ding the areas when washing my face.  Swelling will usually tend to get worse for a few days after any kind of surgery (peaking at day 3-5).  My face is tender, stiff and hot - icing helps.

The grafts themselves have swelled up a bit more, so I can see the ones on my front teeth without lifting my lip. It is a mix of pink gum tissue and white AlloDerm at the edges and around the tracks of the stitches. I remember this from last time, so I am not worried. But it is certainly not attractive. 

When the graft site is swelled like this, it can pull on the stitches and the whole area looks puckered, totally gross and definitely not gum-shaped.  In some areas the swelling can mean that most of your teeth are covered. I notice that the graft is sitting higher up on some of my teeth whereas on others it is lower.  Don't worry, the gum contours will settle back in time once the swelling subsides.  

Today has been fairly pain-free - I feel that I can thank the skill of my surgeon and also my extensive list of medications for this. Even if you don't have pain, it is still a good idea to take the meds. Let's take a look shall we?


Today's theme: Medication

Here's a picture of my goody bag:
My goodie bag
  • Antibiotics: Amoxicillin, the old faithful. One every 8 hours for the next 7 days
  • Painkillers: Ibuprofen and co-codamol (paracetamol and codeine). Every 8 hours - although to be honest, I've only taken the ibuprofen (200mg, mainly to help with the swelling)
  • Anti inflammatory: Dexamethoasone. Starting with 3 a day for 2 days, then 2, then down to 1
When I had my previous surgery in 2012, and also when I had a wisdom tooth out, my face blew up like a balloon.  It caused much amusement for all, but it also really, really hurt!  

This time, I think the anti-inflammatory has done a spectacular job - swelling is still happening but much better controlled... Hurrah for medication!  I don't think it is given out as standard, but when I explained my previous issues to the surgeon she added this to my goody bag and I am very grateful.  

I'm also taking the following supplements to give my body as much support as possible (please check with your doctor before adding supplements):

  • Wellwoman original
  • Swanson Ubiquinol 
  • Swanson Enteric Bromelain 

Have you had gum grafts - were there any medications that particularly helped you?  Leave your comments and tips below, let's all help each other! 

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I am having a graft done on January 15th on my four lower teeth. I am nervous mainly because it's going to be grafted using tissue from the roof of my mouth. Were either of your surgeries done like this or do you know of anyone else? Your blog has given me some comfort combined with some horror because I'm nervous but more comfort then anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having my bottom 4 teeth grafted from the roof of my mouth done on Jan 14th! Best of luck to the other person getting it done on the 15th. I'm super nervous. I didn't know what to ask the periodontist when I learned this was the plan. Now I know what to ask when I call tomorrow. This blog has been super helpful, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this could help you, good luck for your surgery!

      Delete
  3. It’s day 2 after surgery, I got my bottom teeth grafted. I’ve been taking the amoxicillin, and Ibuprofen but I really don’t know what to do about the swelling. Should I be worried ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of swelling too, but call your dr if you are worried. Your gums have been through a lot and there will be a lot of swelling for sure!

      Delete

Please share your experience and help others