Friday 9 June 2017

Gum graft diary: Day 4 & food

Keeping on

Hamster face is still very much in evidence - even worse than yesterday - but I hope this is the peak now.  Looks like I have a mouth full of marshmallows.  The swelling is worse on my left side.  

The grafts themselves are looking paler - pink and shiny, white at the edges - and they sit well above the normal gum level on several teeth.  Everything feels very tight as the graft pulls against the stitches. It hurts more than yesterday in certain places where the swelling has been particularly bad, feeling stingy, sore and hot. It does feel OK with painkillers, but the tight/hot sensations can be quite worrying - best not to think about it. 

I still need to be careful when washing my face, or even rubbing my nose, as this can hurt.  You may want to moisturise your face a lot since the skin has been stretched by the swelling and it can get quite dry, especially if you are icing too. 

Since I've had grafts on all of my teeth (top and bottom at the same time), I should probably be extra careful about eating. Hence, today's theme... 


Today's theme: Food, glorious food

Typically, post-op instructions will tell you to keep to a soft diet for a few weeks and give some uninspiring examples of what you can eat - let me read mine out to you: milkshakes, soups, yoghurts, scrambled eggs, steamed vegetables. 

The point is, you don't have to make yourself more miserable than necessary by sticking to a liquid diet - soft is OK, i.e. avoid things with sharp edges and avoid things that need chewing.  Here are a few ideas:
Morning protein
  • Protein shakes - protein is great to aid healing and they can be delicious!  Being lactose intolerant, I struggle to find tasty shakes that aren't based on whey protein, but there are a few good vegan options out there. I find they blend easier with water rather than trying soya or nut milk, and any variety of sins can be covered by adding extra cocoa powder, honey, fruit etc.  Here's a picture of my breakfast, mmm. This is the Sunwarrior chocolate blend. I like it because it is vegan and mixed protein from different plant sources so that you get a complete profile.
  • Puddings, yoghurts and desserts - yay!  Things like jelly, custard, rice pudding, trifles - all OK. Being on a soft diet can be a pleasure! The folks at Muller have a great selection of rice puds so you don't have to get bored. For my fellow lactose intolerants, Alpro soya desserts are the bomb (my favourite is the dark chocolate flavour - even people who eat dairy like these! I have many different flavours on the go at the same time to avoid boredom. 
  • Potato cakes - I love toast but that's off the cards. Potato cakes are an acceptable substitute if you're craving something toasted. I like the Paul Rankin ones because they stay soft and gooey in the middle (crispy ones are dangerous for delicate gums).  
  • Smoothies - home-made, any combination, the variety is endless.  Add oats for a bit more body, or smooth peanut butter. Hell, add a cookie if you want, as long as it blends up smooth it is OK.  
  • Porridge - go check out the porridge aisle at a big supermarket and you will be amazed at the technology these days... dozens of options.  I am enjoying ones from Rude Health at the moment.
  • Pasta, cous cous, quinoa and all those carbs - just don't put anything like nuts, seeds or crunchy veg in. Keep it all soft and smooth, baby. 
Actually, you can pretty much make most things work if you overcook them and mush them up.  But it is fun to have some specific comfort foods in the house.

Any more suggestions? Let's help each other out with delicious ideas! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your experience and help others